Winter Storm…
Well, it’s been a miserable storm time here. We’ve got lots of the white stuff. It started yesterday morning (Saturday) at about 8 or so. We had flurries until then but the real stuff started and then it just seemed to go on through the day. By about 3, we had freezing rain/sleet coming down. Total snow was about 5-6” and then about an inch of ice on top of that.
I had planned on going to visit Madison on Saturday morning but I’m glad that that trip was postponed. The older I get the less likely I seem to be to take risks with the weather. I had some things to do but it just didn’t seem to be a good idea to try. It snows/rains/sleets here about an hour or so usually before it hits Madison so judging times and things is really a challenge. I talked to Christi at about 9AM and they still didn’t have snow or flurries so it’s interesting.
Not much for traffic has been moving around here. It’s probably a very good thing. Snow plows are doing what they can to clear away things.
I’m really glad that I have to only shovel to the street (mostly so Daisy and I can walk out). The rest is cleared away by someone hired to do it.
Walking Daisy has been interesting. The snow/ice comes up to her stomach so she’s been a bit scared about walking out in it. Especially when it breaks through and she falls into it. J We mostly walked the snow plowed street edges last night and this morning.
No State Journal delivery today I guess – bummers!
Things aren’t supposed to be warming up either. It’s definitely beautiful and bright out there but it’s cold too. Bundling up takes a lot of time and I’m going to have to use more Scotch-Guard water repellant on my boots when they dry off – they seem to have a leak near the stitching on top.
Warm things inside have been good. Hot chocolate with candy cane stirrers (I think I’ve been watching too much Food Network on TV I think) and soup (vegetable and tomato) have been mainstays through the cold. I’ve been thinking about doing some baking but I’m trying to convince myself that I really need to get the family calendar done first!
I’ve been using my time to work on things around the house and work on things for Christmas. This morning I did some needle work and put names on Christmas stockings. I have no doubt that if Grandma Kate and Grandma Mattie are watching they’re having a good laugh at my feeble attempt. The stockings are the nice Land’s End ones that I got at Bargain Nook some time ago for $1-3 each. They’re for Buddy, Daisy, and Lily (Christi’s cat). The stockings are complete now (with a few decorative buttons added and the names on them) and are hanging from Command hooks – the removable type hooks that supposedly don't leave a mark).
Christmas cards – well I’ve got a lot of them out already. The tree (2’ tall, artificial) is up and decorated. The calendar – well that’s my next project. I’ve got lots of work to do on that. It typically will take about a week at the printers so I’ve got to get it done soon. There’s also still wrapping and things. I’m thinking of doing some online shopping for some presents to save time and stay away from the crowds. Maybe after the calendar is done…
This past week at work has been very busy. I’ve had to address some performance problems with one employee (this will be ongoing and stressful for some time) and I’m working on getting a new employee trained. In addition there’s a lot of applications and servicing to do. Typical days lately are about 10-14 hours so nights are much to short to get things done around the house. That’s rough but it means that work is getting done and that people are being helped. One issue that I’m trying to get through is that I have a lot of vacation time that either needs to be used or lost (or if I’m lucky they’ll let me extend into next year). We’ll see. It’s a good problem to have I guess.
I’m looking forward to 12/10 and having lunch at one of Christi’s schools and then volunteering to serve food to the groups coming after that. It should be a lot of fun. I hope the weather cooperates.
I see by the calendar that the first day of winter is 12/22 – Oh My! I can’t wait.
The house about a block away has added more lights and things. It’s the one that sets them all to music and it is nice. I think they’ve turned the volume way down. It’s hard to hear the music over the car engine so I’ve walked Daisy down there a couple of times already. It’s quite nice. We haven’t done it since the storm (and I’m not sure they had it on last night). We even walked behind the house to see their display there which includes some inflatable things (penguins in snow globe, Santa stuck in an igloo, elves loading a sleigh, and more lights set to music). It must take lots of time and money to do all that. With the snow we’ll have to make another trip – seeing it all against brown dirt just isn’t quite the same. J There are other houses with some decorations that I’d like to see but this one is so close and there’s so much there that it’s quite fun.
Only 23 more days until Christmas…
Best wishes to everyone for a safe, happy, and healthy holiday season!
Take care!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home