Happy New Year!
Last night – well I was asleep by about 11. They’re giving me a hard time about that! Christi and I went to the 7PM movie downtown “National Treasure 2” – entertaining but not historically accurate last night. After that we got home and basically Matt put in a movie called “Hot Fuzz” (the same people who made Shaun of the Dead) and that’s when I fell asleep. Oh well.
Today – well the plans are to watch the Badgers play football in the Outback bowl in Florida. It’s on right now. This morning before anyone else got up I watched the Rose Bowl special on Home and Garden TV. They were showing how they take plants apart and design the floats for the parade. All of the floats have to be covered 100% by organic matter so it’s really interesting to see how they are designed and put together. Much of the work is done by volunteers (some college students from California get credit – engineers majors for designs, etc, and art design students for work, etc.). It was interesting. They've created quite a business for flower and plant growers. They try to use as much local items as possible but one float required importing some plants from the Middle East because there simply weren't enough available in the US.
After the football game, we’ll have lunch, then they’ll probably start getting ready to leave. We’re getting a bit more snow here and winds are supposed to be picking up later today. It’s back to work tomorrow for Matt and I and I think Christi wants to get some other things done before she’s back in school. Also, she’s working her security guard thing this weekend.
For Christmas – I got a new keyless entry and key for my car (my key worked but the keyless entry wasn’t working – it’s a keychain thing). Very nice and practical – especially in the winter when the locks freeze shut. Matt and Christi also got me a GPS unit (basic model) so that I can put it in the car and know where I’m going. I had complained that I’d gotten lost a few times during my travels so it was nice and much appreciated. I need to learn how to work it now though…Their other gift to me was a 6 pack of Viva paper towels (they’re very nice and rather pricey so much appreciated). I’ll conserve them and use them sparingly. Otherwise, I got the very nice and much appreciated calendar from Daniel, a gift card from Dad and Gloria, and nice lotion and toffee from Sue, M&M’s and a $10 Amazon gift card from Tim, some Land’s End butter toffee from Linda and family, and just lots of very nice things from everyone. It was a good Christmas for spending time with family. The New Zealand call on Christmas Eve was a definite bonus!
Oh – Santa brought the usual – socks and gloves, toiletries, TP, soaps, etc., a Harry Potter calendar, and a nice coupon book (good for things in the area).
After Christmas shopping was a bit disappointing. I had hoped to pick up some nice cards at a good price but some things just aren't being discounted enough yet. I'll have to keep looking. I still don't need any wrapping paper - the silver Butterfinger wrap is holding up well. I found some nice gift tags (Christi has been giving me a hard time about my homemade ones), some stickers, and a few other things. I also got a few candles and a few hot chocolate mixes (for possible gifts).
I did manage to find a very nice nativity set (Willow Tree http://www.demdaco.com/SearchResult.aspx?Manufacturer=112&Vendor=176&ViewAll=True ). I have the 6 piece Nativity, the 3 wise men, the Shepard and stable animals, and 2 metal star backdrops. They are typically not discounted but they had extras down at Dicks (now called Piggly Wiggly) so I got them at a really good price (50-75% off). I've been waiting to buy one until it was a more reasonable price - still this was a splurge! These sets are the kind of things that get handed down generation to generation. Now I need to find a way to store them until next year - oh my!
My 2008 calendars are all up - including the family one (living room) and the one I got from Daniel (kitchen). Next I'll have to work on taking down my Christmas stuff. Things will seem a bit drearier after I take that stuff down. I do need to update my address book and things though and I can use the cards to get that done.
Well, I'd better get going. Lots to do and take care of today. Go Badgers!
Best wishes for a safe, happy, and healthy New Year!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home