Sunday, July 27, 2008

Not much new really.... :)

I hope everything is going well there.

The weather has been pretty nice here lately. Our hot, humid days have given way to warm days with less humidity. Air conditioners are being given a rest which is a very good thing (though mine hasn't really been on at all for any length of time)!

The garden update here really isn’t too exciting. My small containers are doing well though at times it’s just hard to wait until the produce is ready. For instance, every day this past week I’ve had 1 strawberry a day ready to harvest. There are others getting there but not yet – 1 a day isn’t bad but it’s like eating one Lay’s potato chip or 1 M&M – once I get the taste I want more! It’s especially sad when strawberries are actually good for me. The tomatoes are doing well and I’ve got several orange ones. They just aren’t ready. The basil and parsley – well that’s doing quite well and I’ve got more to get harvested and dried now. The peppers are slowly coming along. It’s just taking time. Catnip is doing well and my cat is loving it! It’s hard to be patient when some of the things are doing well and others are well – slow. The summer and butternut squashes – well I’m not sure that I’ll get anything from those plants. I suspect that I’ve over planted that container and the overcrowded condition has made it impossible for any of it to grow well.

Work – well that’s a continuous challenge. The “do more with less” attitude is alive and well. I just wish I wasn’t in one of the top 2 understaffed offices in the state. Life could be easier…..Oh well. At least we are still helping customers and making a difference to them. We’re trying. I’ve got lots of preparations to make to get things ready for the new loan officer and trainee. I’ve got a week before they arrive so we’ll see how that goes.

I visited Dad on Friday night. Matt came down for a dentist appointment and was there too for dinner. Gloria had hamburgers, hash browns, carrots (with pineapple – a new recipe), and caramelized bread pudding for dessert. It was nice.

A broken gas line in front of their house last Tuesday caused some excitement. Apparently they were working on the street in front of the house and nicked the line. They went to each house and tried to get everyone to evacuate. By the time they had Dad ready and moving, the line was fixed. Fortunately no one was hurt. It was quite a bit of excitement for them.

Saturday I spent the day with Christi. Matt had to work for most of the day so I’m glad we spent time together on Friday. Christi and I went to the Madison Farmers Market early in the morning. Then it was a moving trip to Milwaukee. If all goes according to plan she'll be up in Milwaukee 8/2 for the duration. ;)

We also went to the Pabst Mansion (which is located across the street from where she lives). They give tours and we took one of those to view the mansion and the work there. The house is in the process of being restored in many rooms (a major production). It’s a beautiful old home with a woman’s tea room, a man’s study, and all sorts of other items. Though built in the 1800’s, it appeared that they spared no expense (including a lot of hand carved wood). It’s lovely really and I’m glad we took the hour to go see it.

On the way back to Madison, we stopped to visit Linda and go to her boyfriend’s surprise birthday party. They were grilling out, having a pool party, and a bonfire that night. Linda really put a lot of work into getting things set up. She even had a Harley Davidson cake made which was very nice (her boyfriend Bob is big on motorcycles).

With the long day yesterday and the busy work week, today for me has been a catch up day with house things. I just looked outside and it’s raining – so much for doing more work on the container garden and sanding the picnic table yet today.

Well, I’d better get going – I’ve still got lots to do before I’m ready for the work week.

Best wishes,
Take care!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home